Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Neat Illusion

I came across this really neat illusion:

Depending on which foot you perceive her as standing on in the beginning, she can appear to either be pivoting clockwise or counter-clockwise. If you watch it long enough or try to shift your focus, you can notice your perception flip and see her reverse direction!

5 comments:

M A Haddox said...

I totally don't get this one. 'Course, I never was really good at these things.

Jessica Haddox said...

Try as I might, I can't see it...

Unknown said...

I'm a bit surprised that no Haddox has seen it yet. It does take a while to get it to shift. The easiest way for me to get it to change is to focus on the shadow or the space between the silhouette and the shadow.

By comparing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Left_spinning_dancer.gif and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Right_spinning_dancer.gif, you can see how a few subtle visual clues can make the difference between how it's perceived.

Jessica Haddox said...

huh, those links didn't work. However, I did get it to switch direction by looking at the space between the shadow and the figure like you said. Only... I don't get it.. I don't know how it's done. very weird. Infact, I didn't even notice that she had changed direction until I noted that one time I looked at her, she was spinning on her right, and the next time, she was spinning on her left. Very cool illusion!

M A Haddox said...

Holy crap!! Got it. Very weird. So, why does the mind see it go in reverse when it's not in direct focus? Is this some left-brain/right-brain stuff or something deeper like, only those who got stuf in the Forest Temple for 5 hours in Ocarina of Time?