Sunday, June 22, 2008

166

I had fun with Joe last night. We pigged out on delicious sushi, watched Get Smart, and got some Cold Stone ice cream. While consuming the dessert on the couch watching TV, I was very dissatisfied with the way I was feeling. My heart was pounding like I had just moved a refrigerator, and I could hear my thighs from inside my pants requesting a more spacious home. I knew I had been getting out of shape, but I was shocked to see a 166 on the scale this morning!

I used to be very proud of my body. Once, my weight was in the 190's, and I looked seriously bad. But through a long period of diet and exercise, I got down to around 150. When I was fit, I felt energetic and happy. But after reaching my goal, I let laziness take over. For a while, I coasted on my lean muscle mass and raised metabolism, but now, 2-3 years later, the flab's moving in.

I don't want to go through the same difficult process as before, so I'm starting corrective action now. But I need the help of you and the Internet. Last time I needed to lose weight, I told my co-workers about it; it helped me keep my commitments knowing that they would hassle me if I failed. So this time, I'm going to post my progress on the blog, and you get to make fun of me if I'm not accomplishing my goal of reaching 155 lbs by my birthday.

I've already bought some workout clothes that will fit me, so now I'm headed to the gym. Stay tuned tomorrow's entry, in which I'll complain about how sore I am!

3 comments:

Jill Crooks said...

I have been trying to lose weight too. I have been walking 2 miles every morning and trying to watch what I eat. I lost 3 lbs last week but that is only a drop in the bucket. I will steal some of your techniques so please outline them in detail.

Unknown said...

I'm not going to do anything special; my tactics will be to go to the gym every day and not overeat. There will be no exceptions to making it to the gym, even if it means a 1 AM workout. Oh, and I must report on my progress so I have more incentive to stick with it.

My gym activities will alternate between weights plus cardiovascular exercise and just cardio. The weight exercises will cycle within three muscle groups: The first is exercises for the chest, triceps, and shoulders. The second is back, biceps, and more shoulders. The third is legs. All three include abdominals. My cardio exercise is simply running on the treadmill or elliptical machine.

Losing 3 lbs. in one week is fantastic. Congrats! Even one pound per week is good progress.

M A Haddox said...

o_O!?

So... 166 is bad? Being toothpick-skinny my whole life has made me to believe that I need to be at 210 and built like a tractor. I suppose I have a distorted view of what is or isn't really healthy.

Jay and I just got Wii fit and it is nice. Even though it doesn't have a lot of "sweating blood" exercies, the yoga and strength training really does get you in shape. Tell you what, we'll report as we go as well. Well, I will. Jay's a girl so I can't speak for her to publicize her weight.