Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Is this thing working?
Hello, Interested Parties.
In an attempt to offset my habit of infrequent personal communication, I've decided to keep a blog. If you're expecting a torrent of extremely interesting content, turn back! However, if you crave the mundanity of reading brief snippets about a computer geek's life, you are free to continue. Let's proceed.
Today at work, I've finished writing some report-generation software. It's tedious, but I sort of enjoy the task of manipulating raw data into information of interest to customers. As is usually the case with my software, there is absolutely no visual appeal to the reports or the web page where you enter the reporting parameters. Thank goodness we have an amazing graphics designer at our company.
My friend Chris sent me an interesting link today. Apparently, the LDS church, which I used to belong to, is in a copyright dispute with the Wikimedia Foundation (the organization that's behind Wikipedia and others). Here's the link. Just for kicks, I downloaded the handbook and started browsing it. There's nothing shocking in there at all, so I don't know why the LDS church found it necessary to raise a stink. All I got out of reading it, besides realizing how complex its administrative structure is, is how sincerely dedicated the church is to serving its members and the community. Reading the section giving guidelines to the ward bishopric, I remembered how warm and caring the bishop of Rigby 5th Ward was. Despite its problems, I really respect that about the Mormon Church.
Joe told me an aggravating story today. Apparently he unknowingly accepted a counterfeit $50 bill last night. His boss called him up (disturbing his sleep) to chew him out. He's also deducting $50 from his pay check. Whether that's legal or not, it is certainly a horrible thing to do.
Well, it's time for me to watch some South Park, read a chapter of The Selfish Gene, and go to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm pretty sure that deducting $50 from an employee's paycheck that accepted counterfeit tender is illegal, if not it is plain bullshit.
Using that same logic a cashier that accepts a check from a customer which later bounces, would be liable? Hell no.
I know a good attorney that will write a threatening letter to the employer for free. Tell Joe to send me the employer's name and address and she will do the rest.
--James
I totally disagree with Joe's boss. I mean, that's rediculous. Joe did nothing wrong. The guy who passed the counterfeit bill did. His boss is probably just mad and wants to be a jerk about it. Honestly, what the boss needs to do is take it up with the authorities, not take it out on Joe.
Also, yay! After pestering our side of the family to start up blogs, you finally have! All of Mike's brothers and sisters have personal blogs, and I've been wishing all of you would too.
I also think that deducting $50 from Joseph's pay is not legal. I believe that most companies have insurance to cover loss. Does Joe's employer provide a black light to test all bills? Maybe his boss ought to be liable for not providing proper training or tools to prevent loss.
Post a Comment