Thursday, August 21, 2008

30, Part 1

It's time for an update. First of all, congratulations to James and Tessie! It will be exciting to have another niece or nephew added to the family, and I'm sure that Ethan, Isaac, and Piper will be happy to have another sibling to look forward to.

I purchased a car that was contrary to most of the advice given. I didn't get a dark-colored car per Mike's suggestion, since they tend to get hotter in the Phoenix summers, nor is it particularly classy looking. Also, I didn't end up getting a chick magnet as James recommended (I don't think it's my style). Instead, I went with a used Toyota Prius.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not an eco-Nazi or environmentalist by any means; my house consumes more than its share of electricity, I enjoy non-locally-produced foods, and I have a commute of over 20 miles one way. I just think that the Prius is a nice car! I greatly respect its innovative technology, its acceleration isn't too bad (not as good as the Jetta's, of course), there's more room for friends than in the Jetta, and I don't think it looks half-bad. Will it attract the attention of a Scottsdale gold digger? No. But interestingly enough, on NPR there was one a segment covering a survey with women, challenging the commonly-held idea that women aren't as attracted to a guy with an economical car. It found that many women saw a fuel efficient car as a positive rather than a negative. Now, I don't know how sound the study's methodology was, but I don't really care, because I would have gotten it anyway.

Another event of note was my 30th birthday. I'll talk more on the emotions of this event in "30, Part Two: The Self-Indulgent Whining." For this part, I'll just leave it at I had a good time with friends at my favorite restaurant.

I didn't quite hit my weight goal, but I'm pretty satisfied with losing 9 pounds. The week of my birthday, I stopped caring, and have since been enjoying consumption in excess. Why was I worrying about it in the first place? Pointless.

2 comments:

M A Haddox said...

FIRST!!
(just like a youtube comment)

I can't wait for your part 2. You probably won't see this as a positive, but I can't whine as much because my wife controls the amount of personal pity I can generate (levels to not exceed hers ever). I'd also like to know if you're losing hair anywhere... not that I am!!! ... Ok, fine.

The Prius looks great. I'm not sure what year you chose, but the newest one looks like Hiro's "Nissan Versa." What type of extras did you get? Bluetooth, back-up camera, does it still have the windshield wiper on the top (can you call that the back of the car?)? Any passenger eject buttons?

Unknown said...

I got the one with the most basic of options, so all it has is the backup camera and rear wipers. The car also had custom rims. Of course, as with any modern car, smoke screen and oil slick come standard.