Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Dark Knight

Unless you dislike:

  • Dark storylines
  • Violence (bloodless)
  • Frightening villains
  • Movies over 2 hours long
  • Intensity

... see The Dark Knight. I was heavily anticipating this movie for a long time, and it completely exceeded my expectations.

Heath Ledger as the Joker was the best part of the show. I love the movie's take on Batman's main bad guy. The character was creepy and frightening, yet entertaining to watch. Of course, the other main characters of Batman, Harvey Dent, and Gordon were also well done, but Ledger stole the show.

I have to get a new car soon, because my lease's mileage will soon run out. My criteria, in order of most important factors to least are reliability, fuel economy, performance, cost, comfort, luxury, and looks. I'm going to be entering cars into my spreadsheet this weekend to help me decide on the right vehicle. Any suggestions?

Weigh-ins: 160, 160, 160, 160

3 comments:

M A Haddox said...

Start with an Import. However, I do see Ford taking a large comeback in reliabillity and economy. You can never go wrong with a Toyota or a Honda.

We enjoy our Hyundai, but it's too standard for us to adore. They also changed the body design from previous "Ooooh, that's classic" to "Meh. Looks like every other car." We love it still, but every now and then I have an urge to sell and get an older model.

Although you're single still (sorry for the reminder), I would suggest a full-size as well. At our age, life can change pretty dramatically and you never know if you get hitched and adopt 5 kids in the next year... Ok, not that much, but I'd still recommend keeping those options open.

Lastly, light colors suck. A nice Navy Blue or Charcoal Black. You can make any car look good just by selecting the right color. Our dealer was a jerk and said color doesn't matter much, and we knew he was wrong, but we put it low on our priority anyway. We're going to have this car for years... even hoping it will last until Hyrum's 16th birthday, and we would have liked it be the car that we wanted, not the sale our dealer wanted.

Oh, well. Good luck!!

James and Tessie Page said...

Hey, this is something I actually can comment on. Weeee.

I love cars. Period. I respect that fuel economy is of up most concern to you Jacob, but I got to put a pitch in for the pure excitement that comes from driving a car you absolutely love, even if it doesn't do as good on gas as the extremely boring mega-lame fuel sipping offerings from Toyota and Honda.

I agree with Mike. Imports are cool. And, I hate to admit that I will never buy a new VW. Their reliability and engineering sucks major weenie right now.

My top suggestions: Brace yourself, this is going to cost you some major bucks, but I know you got the dough. . . playa'

Audi A6 or GULP A8 (don't do the A4) Mike Haddox speaks the truth here. Bigger is better. Hot divorced single moms with lots of kids will drool as you pass them in their minivans.

BMW 5 Series (even a newer used car is cool here) It is the perfect size luxury sedan and has a nice performance drivetrain. Don't do the 3 series because you will look like a posing youngster trying to sit at the "big kid's table" for Thanksgiving. The 7 series is too expensive and I would have to kick you in the nuts for spending that much cash.

Porsche Cayman (give it a try. It is not as expensive as you think and perfect for a single 30 something cat like yourself that doesn't need a back seat). Plus shallow-minded honeys looking to gold-dig will give you lots of attention.

Land Rover SUV. Yep suck some gas as you idle in 5 o'clock traffic. It is a great car with a highly improved reliability rating over earlier models of Land Rovers. My personal favorite is the black model. It says, "I'm a high-earning IT manager that likes to go camping or go out on the town. Single chicks will dig it and gals with kids will see appeal too.

BMW X5 (same as above)
Mercedes Benz M-series (same as above)

These are cheaper than you think if you get one that is 1-2 years old. German engineering at it's finest.

Last suggestion: Go American made ONLY if you buy this car. Chrysler 300. You got to do the black one with the giant chrome 22" wheels. Don't question me here. Just do it. You will only see 15-18 MPG so plan to spend a little more on gas but you can get a GREAT used model for low 20K ish. Leather, GPS, Bluetooth, and that kick-ass Al Capone Gangster styling. Plus it can hold your lady and three other adults in style. Seriously. I want this car for my family. Drive one, you'll like it.

--James

James and Tessie Page said...

One more thing here. Bag that spreadsheet you crazy geek.

Spreadsheets are great for analyzing data. A car purchase is a huge emotional experience (almost as emotional as a marriage) You need to love what you are purchasing . . . I mean REALLY love it. You are stuck with it for 4-6 years typically.

You wouldn't choose a girlfriend based on how she compared in five different categories with other women that are available. You would find that girl that makes your heart go ZING then you would jump in with both feet.

Have some fun. A new car purchase can be an absolute blast. Drive them first, then compare the data. Your purchase should be emotionally engaging first then make good sense second. . . and I mean a DISTANT second.

--James