I saw a terrible movie last night! It's called "What the Bleep Do We Know?" A co-worker loaned it to me. I couldn't even finish it. I give it 72,875 thumbs down!
The main problem I have with the movie is that it starts from distortions of scientific theories and builds some wild, spiritualist assertions from them. It was no surprise to me when I found out that the film was made by people that believe in Ramtha. Here's some examples of claims that the film makes:
- Because our brain cannot distinguish between an external reality (that which our senses perceive) and an internal reality (our memory), there is no objective reality.
- Because in quantum mechanics a particle's position is defined as existing in a probability cloud (true), and because our observation of these particles "fixes" their positions (false!), then nothing exists until we observe it, and our observations/thoughts create reality.
- We can travel in time, exist in multiple places at once, and travel to different universes, just like quantum particles!
Ugh.
I don't know stuff like this bothers me so much. Why do I care if people believe bologna? It took me a long time to finally learn and accept that logic and evidence is not enough to change someone's religious and other ideological beliefs; it's not even necessarily better for them to change their beliefs, even if they're wrong. Yet I still can't tolerate the use of pseudoscience to prop up mysticism. Go ahead and use faith to justify unprovable beliefs, but don't try to legitimize them by using distorted science!
Maybe I'm so bothered because I feel strongly that Science is our best tool for figuring out truths about our universe, and pseudoscience only casts confusion and doubt on true scientific discoveries. Or maybe my Mormon upbringing gives me an instinctive desire to proselytize my beliefs.
Weigh-ins: 164, 162
1 comment:
Thanks for the movie reviews. I actually want to see Wall-E. I wish that my weight loss was coming along as good as yours is
Post a Comment